A tale for a dragon

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A tale for a dragon

Post by Aravilui on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:23 pm

"They are the more contagious emotions. And very important to human survival." Aravilui finally pulled a book from the shelf and began to flip through the synopsis and first chapter. "Somewhat to our own as well, but not as much as them, I've noticed."
Aravilui

Level : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:23 pm

"Indeed. I've often wondered why that is." She pursed her lips in thought. "Perhaps because their lives, short as they are, have so much room for uncertainty. Immortals have more time to plan and to do things, while mortals must do more to prioritize what little they have."
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Yudain hadn't really meant to pry, but he'd heard something about dragons and froze to the spot. There was no reason for it to surprise him that there might be other dragons here, but somehow it did, or at least some part of his mind had convinced him that it wouldn't come up.

After that... well, he wasn't sure what to do. Part of him wanted to go over and make friends. Another part was... afraid, as much as he didn't want to admit it, the same part that was worried he wouldn't "fit in" and other childish things. Then there were instincts simmering under that, thoughts of my territory and what are you are you danger? The rest of the conversation didn't help much.

It took him longer than he felt like admitting to himself to make a decision. He walked past the bookshelf he'd been browsing and towards the soft sounds of voices, making himself visible to the two. His expression and body language were kept carefully neutral.

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Gorokhan looked up as another person approached, and smiled in greeting to them. "Hello."
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Yudain stood still, staring Gorokhan in the eye for a long moment before blinking and forcing a smile onto his face.

"Hello." He glanced at Aravilui- an elf or sidhe of some kind, it seemed. "I don't mean to intrude, but what book is it you were speaking of?"

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Gorokhan smiled and showed them. "The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. Have you read it?"
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:03 am

Yudain shook his head. "I've heard of it. The movies are popular recently, aren't they?" He didn't visit the mortal realm very often, but similar items were popular among some of his cousins and other household members who did.

"I heard the dragon was very impressive, though he is the villain of the piece. Something about the animation being "closer to accurate than you would expect". I have read the ones about the dragon who befriends an old sea captain, and the little boy with the pet dragon with no teeth. They were... interesting." The smile on his face slowly became less forced.

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:08 am

Gorokhan's smile widened. "I've heard about the dragon called Toothless. I don't recognize the other, though I know a number of others. The dragon who brings luck, the one who helps a soldier's daughter save her country, one who befriends the knight who swore to kill him..." She'd liked that last one very much. "I wouldn't know what's popular here, but I have seen the movies based on this book. They certainly changed the story quite a lot."
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aravilui on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:11 am

Aravilui made a noise in the back of their throat. "Most books turned into movies do. The movies of the sequel are closer, but they also made alterations."
Aravilui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:01 am

Gorokhan nodded. "So Sarah tells me. She is very vocal about some of those changes." She grinned. "The elves at Helm's Deep, among others."

She looked back at the newcomer. "I'm sorry, we haven't been introduced yet. My name is Gorokhan, and my pronoun is she. What are yours?" She left it to Aravilui to introduce themself.
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Yudain noticed the elf's little noise of indignation and was amused.

He hesitated at the question of pronouns. It wasn't an entirely unexpected question, but not one anyone had ever asked before. "I am Yudain al-Tanis, Ambassador of Whitemountain- my technical capacity here, though at the moment I'm also a student. My, ah-" he nibbled the inside of his cheek- "I suppose "he"."

It was accurate at the moment, and he wasn't sure he'd know to respond to "she" even when it wasn't.

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Gorokhan nodded. "A pleasure, Yudain." Then she tilted her head. "Whitemountain? Where is that?"
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aravilui on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:24 pm

"And I am Aravilui, Professor of outdoor survival and archery. I use the singular they pronoun." Aravilui smiled at Yudain. They were also technically Carmelor's servant, but really, it didn't matter here and they were one of the more autonomous ones in any case.
Aravilui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Huh. A professor? He inclined his head in greeting to both Aravilui and Gorokhan.

"Whitemountain is a bordertown, and my home." A specific location would be unlikely to be helpful. "It's a great city of commerce between Arcadia and the mortal realm. Where are you from?"

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Gorokhan smiled. "I doubt you'll have heard of it. My home realm is Achanvar, in the world called Rakar-ai." She decided not to use the humanized name, Echenvar.
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aravilui on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Aravilui smiled. "The House of Silver. As to where exactly that is... somewhere in Arcadia."

They looked at Gorokhan curiously. They'd heard of most of the bordertowns, but that was a realm, and a world, that was totally unfamiliar. "So you are suffering more confusion than most."
Aravilui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:38 pm

Gorokhan nodded. "Not as much as I could be, but yes. Sarah has been teaching me a lot about this world, or at least the mortal side of it. Even she is confused by this place. I'm grateful that this town has a school, otherwise I think we'd both be completely lost. Thank the Parents for the History of Arcadia class." She chuckled, wondering in the back of her mind whether it was fitting to invoke their names in a world they had not made.
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Another realm? That sounded like the sort of thing Yudain should have heard of, but he couldn't put his finger on whether he had or not. So Gorokahn wasn't one of the great dragons of Arcadia?

He didn't know how he felt about that.

"It must have been quite a journey to get here?"

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Gorokhan shook her head. "The journey took no time at all. What took longest was for Sarah to find out how to get back from Rakar-ai to Earth using her power. I wasn't supposed to go with her, however." She smiled. "And getting from her home to this place was another accident. After that we both decided we might as well stay and try to learn all we could."
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:31 pm

"Hmm." Yudain nodded, finding himself interested for an entirely different reason than he had anticipated. "Could you tell me about Rakar-ai? Are you... not of the fae?"

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Gorokhan tilted her head. "I... very much doubt it. I knew nothing of the fae before coming to this world. I and my kind are dragons, descended from the first two: the Parents who created Rakar-ai to be the nest for their offspring. We in turn created humankind some generations later. It was only recently I learned to assume their shape. It is difficult to grow used to at times." She laughed.
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aravilui on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:45 am

Aravilui smiled. "Yes, I imagine it would be. Many of the students have much to learn, but it seems to me you would have the most. I am certain most people here are more than willing to answer your questions. But I think the two of you have far more to discuss, so if I may have your pardon, I will leave you both to it."
Aravilui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:48 am

Gorokhan nodded and smiled at them. "Of course. It was a pleasure speaking with you. I hope you enjoy your day."
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yudain al-Tanis on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Yudain was quiet for a while; he nodded to Aravilui as they left.

"That is... very strange, and I had thought I'd heard a lot. I imagine others would gain as much from a book you'd written as you gain from studying here. Would you have any interest in recording your history?"

Yudain al-Tanis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorokhan on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Gorokhan pondered the suggestion, then nodded slowly. "Perhaps. I expect the history of the world as a whole would be of more interest than a personal account of my life. There are only so many times I could stand to write about human knights' attempts on my life before even I would get bored."
Gorokhan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top