Dunehelden Academy: Version 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singing like nobody's listening

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Singing like nobody's listening - Page 2 Empty Re: Singing like nobody's listening

Post by Peace Emberlain Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Peace shrugged. Korlian was... he seemed nice but he definitely counted as something weird.

"There are really good acoustics in this place." Well, it was why he was here. "Do you want to join in? Or have any requests?"

Peace Emberlain

Level : 2

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Singing like nobody's listening - Page 2 Empty Re: Singing like nobody's listening

Post by Korlian Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:27 pm

"I doubt you'd know anything I know." Korlian looked at Peace steadily. "And I don't have an instrument. Yet, anyway. I was thinking of making one in woodworking. But if you wanted to play more, I would happily listen."
Korlian
Korlian

Level : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Peace tilted his head. "Fair enough..."

"I know a few pop and rock songs with flute versions, some of them can work with piano too. Would that work?"

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Vincent tilted his head a little. "Quite possibly, depending on the song. Care to name a few?"
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Well, now he felt a little awkward. "Uhm, just some stuff I guess. Stuff from the radio, I know some classical pieces from class. Taylor Swift."

"I'm better with a guitar."

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:12 pm

"Improvisation on classical might be interesting?" Korlian tilted his head to the side thoughtfully. "I'm unfamiliar with radio. But instrumental is good."
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:16 pm

Vincent inclined an ear toward Korlian and nodded in agreement, looking at Peace. "Indeed. We can certainly try some of that if you like. Might end up with something similar to The Piano Guys."
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:09 am

Peace shrugged. He didn't recognize the reference, but he liked improvisation.

"Sure. Whatever you want to start with."

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:46 am

Vincent nodded, then thought for a moment before starting a pretty instrumental piece by Ludivico Einaudi. He wasn't sure if the others would have heard of him, but if improvisation was what they were after, he supposed it didn't matter too terribly much.
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Korlian listened and closed his eyes slowly. Yes, he was going to have to choose and make himself an instrument of some sort. The music was definitely giving him ideas.
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:28 am

Vincent's piece was beautiful, and not all that complicated either, which he was grateful for. It seemed to be variations within a theme. He played his pipes high and low, keeping to the same general note structure and weaving in and out of the music.

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:37 am

Vincent smiled as Peace joined in his music, adding depth and richness to what was already there. This had definitely been a good idea. The piece was several minutes long, but they seemed to fly past as the music flowed around him. Still, he could always play another. Einaudi had an extensive repertoire.
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm

By the time they were done, Peace felt a little like he'd had a long mental workout. It was fun, but keeping up with a music professor wasn't easy... and the fact that he'd done it made him feel pretty awesome. He didn't actually play the pipes much, and he almost felt like they knew it, but they seemed happy with him at the moment.

He took a breath and brushed the hair out of his face. "I wish magic was this much fun..."

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Vincent sat back and stretched his arms above his head, then looked at Peace with a smile. "It can be. Mine certainly is. I'm lucky enough to have it tie into what I've enjoyed doing for my whole life. Unfortunately I've never heard of another mage with powers quite like mine, except that one fellow in the Spellsinger books."
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Korlian tilted his head curiously. Magic through song? Now that sounded very interesting indeed. "I like magic. My best skill is scrying, though. How does yours work?"
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Vincent grinned. "A combination of voice, lyric, intent and willpower. It's a very tenuous balance to keep. Also in finding things to do with it that aren't either superfluous and silly or dreadfully important and potentially disastrous if I get them wrong. Healing is always handy, though I haven't had to do that one very much with Ellie around."
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:52 am

Peace's eyes went wide.

"Do you- can you teach that to people? I mean-" He immediately thought that might be stretching his luck, there, but he wasn't sure how to step it back, so instead he forged ahead. "You do music magic? That is freaking awesome."

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:09 am

Healing would probably be helpful, but Korlian had other ideas. And the idea of using music was enough to make him glad he'd come here. He'd already been fairly well enjoying himself; there were plenty of interesting people.

Now he had one who was even more interesting. "Seems to me everything would work that way. Superfluous or vital, I mean, if you're using magic. By your standards."
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:57 am

Vincent chuckled at Peace's enthusiasm. "I'm not sure. We could certainly try, though. The thing about my magic is it only sprang up about five years ago, during an encounter with the Fair Ones. I'm still not sure exactly how that happened, nor what my exact limits are in what I can do. I have learned I can't heal myself, which is irritating."
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:47 pm

Peace nodded. He was a little disappointed that it wasn't that easy, but it was what he expected.

"Er... can we see something cool? If it's okay?" He grinned again.

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:28 pm

Vincent smiled. "Something cool, hm? Let me see." He looked around the room for inspiration. In one corner sat a potted plant; he studied it for a moment, then directed the others' attention toward it before starting to sing.

"I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew;
Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches blew...
"

The spell worked before their eyes from the first few words. The plant was transformed, its stem turning pale silver and becoming a tall, slender trunk with golden flowers; the leaves likewise turned from green to gold, and changed in shape to resemble those of a beech tree, but larger. A wind gusted through the open window and rustled in the thin branches of the young mallorn, then circled around and brought its flowers' sweet scent back to them.

Vincent sat back and looked at the others, a grin spreading across his face. "Cool enough for you?"
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Korlian leaned forward until he nearly fell out of the window, his eyes wide and fascinated. "What kind of tree is that?"
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:36 pm

"A mallorn. The song I quoted from is in The Lord of the Rings, sung by Galadriel as the Fellowship is leaving Lothlorien." He smiled back at his handiwork. "I'm going to transplant that outside, and nurture it until it grows as big as it can get. Maybe it will give nuts so I can grow a whole grove of them. My own Caras Galadhon."
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace Emberlain Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Peace stared at the plant. He walked over and leaned down to look at it, gently brushing one of its leaves.

"So you just... sing, and it works. I guess that seems to be how a lot of innate stuff works, huh?" Peace's "innate stuff" seemed like such a pain in the butt bu comparison. Outside of the dream stuff, which he had no idea how to make useful. "Does it work if you write your own songs?"

Peace Emberlain

Character Profile
Full Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hawk Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Vincent nodded. "It does, but composing my own spells naturally takes much longer than using pre-existing songs, so I try not to do it unless it's necessary for something specific." He had a binder full of spells stashed under his bed, which he added to periodically as things came up.
Vincent Hawk
Vincent Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum