So crazy it just might work

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So crazy it just might work

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Kemekin had been looking for references for a sculpture in the library a few days before, when he overheard two people on the other side of the shelves he was scanning. Two people talking about wings being stolen, and Fae impersonating mythical figures (which was nothing uncommon for the Fae, he imagined) and Kemekin probably wouldn't have thought much about it if he hadn't found the book he was looking for at that moment.

An illustrated medical journal about regrowing tissue after the loss of certain body parts. Granted, it was mostly for noses and ears and things like that, but his aunt had magic. Surely she could supplement something like this and make it work for a functional limb. Or limbs. Wings.

He heard names-- Odol, okay, he knew him. And Runa. That sounded like the one missing their wings. Had their wings stolen. That.

Kemekin peered through the shelf over the top of an eye-level row of books and caught a glance of this Runa person. He committed her face to memory and found several other books on the subject. Then he had scurried to check out his choices, and practically dove into his sketchbook to start sketching things out.

He had been in a bit of a creative rut-- this was just the spark he needed.

Also he was helping someone. That was also important.

Now, days later, he ambled into the library again with his sketchbook under one arm and his pencil behind one ear. Hopefully he would find this Runa person again, and share his idea.
Kemekin Evans-Barros

Level : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So crazy it just might work

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Rúna was browsing the library shelves again, for homework this time rather than anything memory-related. She caught sight of someone coming her way and stepped to one side, not wanting to get in their way. "Hallo."

The stranger wasn't someone she'd spoken to before, though she'd glimpsed him once or twice. His antlers had always been a point of interest.
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Kemekin blinked, stunned for a moment to find himself in from of Runa so quickly.

"Ah. Hi. Hi, Runa." He coughed and blinked again. "Listen, I, uh... I have an idea. That you might be interested in. I might've... overheard things."

He realized he sounded shifty as absolute hell, so he shook his head and held out his hand for a shake.

"Let me try again. Hi, my name is Kemekin. I overheard you had an issue that was stressing you out, and I had an idea that I would like to share with you."
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Rúna blinked as Kemekin introduced himself, and slowly reached out to shake his hand. "What exactly did you overhear?"
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:19 pm

Kemekin gripped her hand for a polite shake, but didn't let go afterwards. He pulled her carefully over to an out of the way table, and spread his sketchbook open on the tabletop. Several pages were devoted to notes, sketches, and hurriedly sketched diagrams. Wings.

"Okay. Have you ever heard of regenerative medicine?"
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:24 pm

"Not really, no..." She looked down at his sketches and her eyes widened. "You heard me talking with Odol, didn't you. Are... are you trying to find a way to let me get my wings back? Is that even possible?" She ran her finger along the outline of one of his sketches, and the muscles in her back quivered as if to move phantom wings.
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Kemekin smiled.

"Well, see, this is usually done to regrow facial structures, mostly those that are cartilage-based like noses and ears. Lost in car crashes and stuff like that. But I figure that, y'know, with Ellie's magic, we can create something that can perform it's original purpose. I think we could regrow your wings. Even if you can't fly with them, having them back would..." He blushed a bit. "Er... your thoughts?"
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Rúna stared at him for a long moment, her eyes still wide. She looked down at his notes and sketches, then up at him again. "If this works... I don't know if I'd ever be able to repay you. Or Ellie. But... I definitely think it's worth trying." She smiled, but her eyes were full of tears.
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Kemekin suddenly felt a little bashful. He rubbed the back of his head and chuckled. "Do... so you want me to make copies of these? So you can look over them. There's a list of all the books I looked through as well."
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Rúna nodded, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "Ja, please. Does Ellie know about this yet? Or were you waiting for my go-ahead before you told her?"
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 pm

"I was wanting to get your thoughts before I took it to her." A crooked grin curled across his face. "I can have these doubled by tomorrow-- the copy machine exploded last week."
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Rúna nodded. "Makes sense. Did you want to go and talk to her now? It'll probably take a long time for my wings to grow back, if they do, so I think the sooner we start, the better."
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Kemekin flinched as he marked his pages and closed the sketchbook. "I'd rather have a bit of a pitch prepared first. And you should have the chance to look this stuff over beforehand. There's a lot of shaping and surgery involved, and, well..." He grumbled. "It should theoretically be a much smoother process with Ellie's magic, but it's also never been done with a functioning limb before."
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Rúna nodded, flushing a bit. "Of course. I'm sorry, just... a bit overexcited. Getting my wings back would mean a lot to me." Almost as much as getting her memories back. Had Fable found anything yet? He hadn't gotten back to her about, it, which made her doubt the fact.
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:34 pm

"I can imagine," Kemekin said with a grin. "Tell you what. I'll get these copied tonight and get them to you at breakfast. You'll have all day to look over them, and we'll go to my aunt after classes are over. That way we both have time to plan."

He ruffled his hair and found himself unable to stop smiling. He was helping someone. It felt nice. "With any luck, we'll be able to convince her to try."
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:36 pm

Rúna nodded, her smile turning to a grin. "Sounds good. Thank you so much."

She paused. "...How much exactly did you hear about my problems?" Did he know about her memories too?
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemekin Evans-Barros on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:38 pm

Kemekin swung his arms a bit. "Er.... well, I was looking at books the other day and overheard you talking with Odol. Soon as you mentioned that your wings were taken away, I found my books and left."
Kemekin Evans-Barros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rúna on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:44 pm

She nodded again. So he hadn't heard very much at all, and certainly nothing about her memories or Loki. No point in asking about them then. "Okay. Just curious."

She looked back down at his papers, tilting her head. What would it feel like to get her wings regrown? She had no illusions that it would be painless, but no doubt it would get people talking. She'd have to prepare herself for that, too.
Rúna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top